Tuesday, August 18, 2020

My review of the new book, "The Perfect Fascist," published in the San Diego Jewish World

 Don Harrison, the proprietor of the San Diego Jewish World, remains a close acquaintance of mine.  I have always admired Don's work as a publisher, writer, and historian.  His book on one of the first modern Jewish pioneers in mid to late 19th Century San Diego, Louis Rose, remains for me a great work of historical research.  About six weeks ago, Don asked me to read and review a new book from Harvard U Press, "The Perfect Fascist," by noted Columbia University professor, Victoria de Grazia.  I agreed, as, at the time, I had not been hired to work anywhere as a teacher.  Then, of course, I did get a teaching job, and the nearly 500 page book arrived a week later.  Sigh.

Anyway, here is my review of the book.  It is an excellent work, and I am glad to have read through the entire work, including the copious and often fascinating endnotes.

UPDATE: September 14, 2020: I checked in at Harvard U Press to see if they posted any reference to my review of the book. I was shocked, and humbled, to find Harvard U Press has posted a portion of my review at the top--at the top!-- of the reviews which they received.  I am so honored, as I continue to view Harvard as the pinnacle of American higher education.