Monday, March 30, 2020

Melanie Safka always speaks to me, especially now

Melanie's hit song from over 50 years ago, "Candle in the Rain (Lay Down)," with the Edwin Hawkins Singers, remains a powerful classic rock-pop song. Its lyrics about us catching the same disease and dreaming of peace is especially powerful now. I used to say in the mid to late 1980s how Madonna could re-record the song and have a hit. Today, I would say Katy Perry could re-record the song and have a hit. It is a timeless sound and a universal message.

If I had to name my favorite Melanie song, it is "Peace Will Come (According to Plan)."  Here is the best version, a live one with an opening verse that is not in the single release version.  This live version is from 1971 or 1972, I think. Melanie was an anthem writer.