Monday, January 15, 2018

To watch or not watch "Rotten"...

This show scares me to the core of my subconscious beliefs about the food I consume.

Our children better understand that politics includes food, and food includes politics.  We are the processed, factory farm generation.  Theirs recognizes the ugliness, the destructiveness, and unhealthiness that can come with the processed.  

And I am speaking in generalities, of course, which is the same root as generations.

In other words, I again admit to being afraid to watch this series.....And I fear recognizing that we may have to change our systems surrounding food, and that it may involve laws that appear to coerce us to eat more vegetables and fruits, and less meat products.  It continues to amaze me that a Big Mac costs less than a salad.  And yet, the mark up costs of meat and other animal products still benefit middle people and big retailers, not the farmers.  I remember reading long ago this book, "Merchants of Grain" (1979), by Dan Morgan, and thinking then, this will change for the better--but it only appears to have gotten worse.

And still, no matter what is written, no matter what is shown in this documentary series, "Rotten," I do not think those of us over 40 are ready for most of this, and will find themselves grasping ourselves to the Koch Bros. and their minions, mouthing rhetoric about "freedom," when this very freedom to consume processed food is likely threatening the planet, is cruel beyond our packaged beliefs, and corrupt in ways that make the Clintons and Trump personally seem almost as saints.

Our children's generation cannot save us too soon...Let's watch "Rotten" if we dare.